Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Photobabbling

Wow! Getting back into the blogging swing of things is like trying to join a jump rope game when the rope is already turning. Remember that playground pastime? That required agility and timing? I'm old and creaky now, but here I come bounding back into the game.

I've found myself stressed about photography lately, and here's why: I am extremely skilled at taking something I enjoy doing and trying to turn it into a VISION, a PLAN, SOMETHING THAT MUST BE BROUGHT TO COMPLETE FRUITION. NOW.

You'd think by age 40 I'd have figured out that this approach does not work, that while it's good to dream, it's also good to have a little, oh, I don't know, PERSPECTIVE. And PATIENCE.

So, I get me some perspective and patience, I do, but questions still crop up. My dream machine keeps going, wondering things.

My latest wonderings are beautifully articulated by photographer Zack Arias. In his thoughtful short video, he asks:

"What is my vision? What is my goal? What do I bring to the table that countless others have not already served up on this massive platter of visual pollution we create each and every day?"

This is a huge question, one that can become very heavy very fast. So, here's my plan: I will trust in the fact that I have this passion for a reason. I will trust in the fact that no one sees through the lens exactly like I see. I will trust in the fact that in time I'll have more time to shoot. In the meantime, I'll just keep doing what I can. Keeping it simple, shooting what moves me. No imitating (been there, done that), no pretense. No crazy processing. Just me, my environment, and the camera to record my responses and thoughts.

I didn't give you much in this post - it's mostly me rambling about myself. I plan to be posting photos soon, though. Thanks for your patience!

4 comments:

kooky husband said...

Looking forward to the pics!

kyooty said...

I love your pics, and I love reading your posts. :)

Hi Kooky said...

Thanks, dear people!

tami said...

i like your "to do" list at the end of this post.

and yes-- you do have this passion for a reason. for one anyway, i love seeing what you see through your lens. :)