Thursday, August 5, 2010

unveiling


There it is, people. Our home school HQ. Did I mention I love maps? (p.s. Those are the chairs and table we got at IKEA.)

Estimated start date, Monday. This may seem a little early, but after chatting with some seasoned home school moms, I'd like to leave plenty of leeway between now and Christmas break. If we want to take a long weekend trip, or simply take some days for field trips, there will still be plenty of time to get the necessities in.

[Now, how does that adage go? Something about, "We make plans and God laughs?" So these are my plans, anyway.]

To say that we are excited is an understatement. I am so grateful for the opportunity to enthusiastically "do what works" instead of watching my boys sadly "do what you're told, whether it's what you need or not."

[Note: I do not hate public school or think that it's the embodiment of all that is evil. On the contrary, I know that there are some amazing people who work in public schools, who truly love helping kids. We know amazing families through our public school. It's just that the public school learning structure wasn't the best fit for the boys. If they ever need or want to go back, we'll do what it takes to create the best experience for them.]

That being said, I feel like I should go buy a horn so I can blow it and shout "Huzzah!" on Monday morning (from the staircase, for effect). There should be confetti. And maybe some streamers. And Ho Ho's!!! The boys will think I've gone off my rocker - I can't think of a more perfect way to start school.

p.s. No, we won't be sitting in that room all day every day. It's just the HQ. The world is our classroom. :)

6 comments:

kyooty said...

thinking of you from my beach time. hehee we've got another month!

Angie said...

Can I come to your school? I have a lot to learn about maps and stuff. :) I'm sharing your excitement, by the way!

Amanda Enclade said...

I was relieved when you ended your post with

"p.s. No, we won't be sitting in that room all day every day. It's just the HQ. The world is our classroom. :)"

would hate to see you replicate public school at home! have fun getting out and learning about all the cool stuff in the world!

congrats on your new journey

enjoy the ride!

Ellen said...

So excited for you guys! Have a great time teaching your kids to love learning.

Fat Doctor said...

Just a note --

You are a product of public schools.

And you are excellent in all that you do.

How could your sons do anything but excel under your care?

I'm so impressed.

You go girl.

Feel free to whine if it gets too hard.

None of us will judge.

And if necessary, we'll send you brownies to boost your blood sugar so you can go back and do it another day.

Love ya.

Amy said...

Your room is great! Very cheerfu.!