Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Uh oh.

As much as I like stability, I also like not stability.

What I mean is that the big things in life need to be stable, but the littler things - bring on variety! Please! Lest I gouge my eyes out from boredom!

I've known for awhile that the day would come when I'd have enough confidence to step out of our beginner home school routine. We needed training wheels when we started - no doubt about that. I'm very thankful for training wheels. But it's time to raise those wheels up a bit. (Not ready to remove them. Not yet.)

I felt like crying when I woke up today, and this alerted me to the fact that something may be wrong. (I am nothing if not extraordinarily perceptive.) I asked myself, "What is wrong?" and surprisingly I answered me back, "Good grief, I'll die of boredom if you don't do something FAST."

Then I felt like crying even more because, "Well, what should I do FAST to help us?" Ehhhh. Needing to raise the training wheels, wanting to raise the training wheels, scared to raise the training wheels. Not sure how to raise the training wheels.

We started with our regular read-alouds, then we ran Uno to the school for P.E. Still, the big dough ball of tears threatened to rise up and spill over.

After Uno and I returned home, my auto-pilot, no-nonsense brain took over (since I wouldn't) and it refused to continue with our regular school day. We studied the Azeri people group this morning, the primarily Muslim population in Azerbaijan. The country is loaded with oil and natural gas reserves. Natural gas actually seeps out of the ground causing spontaneous fires. Not surprisingly, the people worshiped fire in the past.

So I told the boys to pretend they are ancient Azeri fire worshipers, and to create a fire-worshiping Azeri house (furniture fort). The excitement was not overwhelming, but they were game. I know this for sure: they can pronounce "Azerbaijan," they can find it on the globe, and they know why the ancestral population worshiped fire.

They wisely added a fire pit and chimney, and placed a sign on top to denote their devotion to fire, lest anyone have doubts (and a lock for safety):








And storage for food and water.



This is a later addition. (Even ancient fire-worshiping Azeris feel the need to upgrade.)


The end.

I'm officially (slightly) off the beaten path and I have no idea where we're going. Kind of. (Never fear - the core subjects will remain. I just don't know what else will be thrown in and how it will all shake out.)

We're on wobbly bike, but we're going!

10 comments:

Dawn said...

OH I so know how you feel!
Over the years I have strayed so very far from textbooks and adventured out of the box of "education". We have had so much fun learning this way. I hardly know what I'll do when they all grow up. I think they MAY just find me building a tent in the "school room" when they come home to visit one day;)))
You're an amazing mom for tackling this...I'm with ya!

Ellen said...

Love it! Trust me, they learned much, much more than history and culture. You'll never know exactly what they come away with and what gets stored in their little data banks.

Good job!

Sarah Fravel said...

Never be afraid to have a day of recess, also known as "mental health day"! Someday I fear that my children will figure out that it was not for their mental health, but for mine that we played instead of schooled! ;)

tami said...

love this post. enjoy the wobble. :)

xo

kyooty said...

OH what fun!! I think that National Georgraphic did a piece on these people between 1988-1991?

Helena said...

Ah, I know that feeling SO SO well! Needing something different, not knowing what it could be. The more I've found my own path, the better I have felt (we all have felt, actually)…and I'm still figuring it all out…and won't we all always be, in this unknowable, wobbly kind of life? :) What you are doing, and opening yourself up to, is beautiful.

So, I'm with you. I get it! (And have a good cry, if you need to. As you know from reading my thoughts, it is part of the amazing journey, isn't it? Sending HUGS.)

Hi Kooky said...

Thank you, everyone, for the kind comments. It's a roller coaster! Aren't roller coasters supposed to be fun? :)

Sarah P. said...

I dare say I did not know the fire worshipping thing. Maybe I should join your home school.

Stay strong. And not strong. Stay you.

Dawn said...

Just wondering how you're doing....with breaking out of the mold of typical homeschooling days.
Thinking of you as I fall into "routine" tomorrow morning with our school work:)
dawn:)

izzabitz said...

I love this! What a great day for your boys. And I love the "dough ball of tears" phrase -- it's perfect. I hope it was gone after your Azeri people built their home.